The client is a leading legal outsourcing company, offering a full range of general legal and Intellectual Property (IP) support services throughout the entire lifecycle. The client wanted to validate that source data is imported into the application and defined business rules are applied on source data before it’s put in destination database. It also wanted to ensure that imported data is displayed on the application UI, and all the features were working fine
Contata faced the following challenges with the project:
- Selection of data from different sources, including MS Excel, MS Access, database server, etc.
- Less test coverage
- Long test cycles
- Complex and different business rules for various clients
- Normalization issues in source database wrt application requirements
- Less time for testing
- Frequently, source data was getting changed before final import
Contata ETL Testing Automation Solution to validate that the data generated by the client is transformed and loaded into the target as expected.
Solution–ETL Testing Automation Solution
In the first phase, Contata validated data import through SQL scripts—and on UI through manual testing. We analyzed source database and business rules to identify critical issues and save project efforts. In the designing phase, Contata created SQL scripts to automate ETL testing including business rules. We performed count testing to validate data completeness and sample testing to validate data integration with the application.
- Application released on time and within budget
- Reduced test cycle by 30% using ETL automation
- Reusable SQL scripts for future uses
- Higher test coverage in production
- Increased visibility of the testing infrastructure